Tuesday 25 April 2017

Superlearning mission II


Here I am with a new post!!

Today I want to propose you another super learning mission of my OEP such as the one showed in my last post, in which I have explained you how to turn flat activities into learning missions.

My second activity will be to design a flyer to distribute among all the members of the school. Thus, they could go to the students’ learning diaries and see their final outcome that will be the video clip I have explained in my prototype.


Why I chose this activity?

I think that it is important to spread the work we have done to the rest of the world so I decided to do a kind of announcement of what we are doing in our classes. For that reason, this flyer done by themselves is a kind of advertisement of their final product so people will know that they can find it in students’ learning diaries.

Moreover, with this activity we are working on student’s autonomy because they have to do it by themselves with the teacher´s help.

This activity is going to be part of the final outcome announcing when is going to be ready to see.

Finally, I think that this could be a learning mission because they are working on speaking, writing and reading skills through a different task and methodology. Besides, I believe that this challenge will be good for working on student´s responsibility and effort.  



Activity description

Students have to spread and announce their work so, for that they have to create a kind of flyer in which they market their video so people can watch it. In order to do the flyer they will use Canva or Smore or another online tool that they feel comfortable with.



Goals of the learning mission

The goals of the activity will be similar to the former task.

-          To promote critical thinking and English skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking).



-          To know how to work with ICT in an adequate way and how to manage with different interactive tools.



-          To think, design and create a final product to announce the work done.



-          To develop communicative skills



Timing

Students will develop this activity in one class because I think this is easy for them. The teacher should monitor the class and answer the student´s questions.



Final artifact

The final product will be a flyer done with only tools to give to the rest of the school members as the one that I have created as example. Students may use this prototype of flyer or done another one by themselves. It is important to be creative because they will do one each. The flyer also has to be motivating and hooking in order to motivate people to see their videoclip.
Here you can find an example of the flyer students could make.

Prehistory film de Laura Hernández


Online tools

1.       They can use Google Docs to share their flyers with the teacher or with the students. They can also store their work in this tool.

2.       Canva or Smore: Students may use these tools or another one to do the flyer.

3.       Learning diaries: They also have to spread their flyers online so they can use their blogs to share it and do a self-reflection of the project.



How can I relate this activity to ESL TIMES project?

This task is also related to ESL TIMES because it works with ICT in a motivating and learning way, in order to students can take advantage of them to learn. The final artifact is in accordance with the ESL ones because it is also created on the web and it differs from usual posters in which students paint and write in a white paper.


Self-reflection

As a kind of auto evaluation of work I have done to date, I have to admit that it has been better than I had thought. I mean, I thought I would have more problems with all the online tools because I had never worked with any of them.

I think that my first version of my OEP was a bit simple. However, with all this challenges I believe that I am enriching it with many changes. The most important thing I have realize through all this challenges is that we, as a teacher, need to think how we can change our work in order to make it better because it will be probably improved. We tend to think that we do the best of ourselves in our activities but If we stop thinking for a moment how can we take into account our students´ needs, we never find a way to improve our work. This is what I have realized in my ICT classes: always thinking about improvements.

Furthermore, in my view, a self-reflection and a continuous assessment of our tasks is also important in order to notice the weakest points of our project. I believe that I have changed my OEP a lot because I wanted that the activities fitted with it. These tasks fit well with my project because they follow all the main goals and competences I want to work with my students. However, I am sure that my OEP could be enriched a bit more so I hope to see your comments and suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura, such a nice idea to create an announcement! I like the way they are going to create it with a flyer since I think it will help students to develop creativity, which is very important. Moreover, your objectives are adequate for the level of the students and you have also related the super learning missions to "The ESL Times", where you want to belong to, and that is great. Good job!

    ReplyDelete